Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Standard

I’m not a child abuser.  Nor a sexual predator.  I’ve never attempted an overthrow of a free and fair election.

I pay my taxes.  I mow my lawn.  I usually drive within the speed limit and always in school zones.

I’m thoughtful about my purchases and I tip well.  I would never idle my car in the ferry lane.

I have not stolen anything from anywhere in years.  I write down the proper code on my co-op store bulk purchases.  I even told the owners of the vintage store that I broke that ashtray.

I feed my dog on schedule; she gets premium kibble.

I try to be nice to everyone I meet.  I’m friendly with the grocery store cashiers, without being weird.  In conversation with others, I ask questions sometimes.

I say “please” and “thank you,” as appropriate.

I’ve never killed a human being.  In fact, the only mammals I’ve put to death are rats, and only two.  I once slit the throat of a turkey for Thanksgiving, but I knocked it out with CO2 first.

I occasionally donate to charity.  I’ve never created a sham charity to scam people into donating money to me, though.

I vote in every election and I’d be willing to serve jury duty if I were summoned.

If I won the 1.25 billion dollar lottery, I’d set up a foundation with at least half of the money to fund worthy causes.  And I’d tip really, really well.

Granted, I didn’t volunteer to teach reading and writing at the State Prison.  I’ve never run into a burning building to save a cat.  I’m not a public school teacher at an underfunded city high school.  I will spend money on a wool shirt I don’t really need instead of using that money to fight world hunger.

I’m better than the worse thing I’ve ever done but not as good as I could be if I were better.

Good enough or just enough?


No comments:

Post a Comment