Monday, August 24, 2015

Crash

Another day, another crisis in the stock market.

I’ve seen this movie before, in 1987, 2001, 2008, for example.

Am I worried?  Certainly.  Will I do anything about it?  Probably not.

Meanwhile, fires are burning up Eastern Washington.  And the largest piece ever recorded of the Greenland ice sheet just fell off into the ocean.  NASA says that an asteroid won’t slam into earth next week, but I don’t believe them.

We’re doomed! 

Or not.

If I didn’t have a newspaper or the internet, I wouldn’t know that I ought to be so frightened; as I sit here on my couch this lovely late-summer morning, the world seems fine.

Little do I know.

My dog seems sanguine about the day’s events; she’s enjoying her breakfast, so at least, I think, I don’t have to worry about an earthquake in the next hour or so.

This is another example of the future attacking the present.  Right now, everything’s reasonably okay, but if things keep going this way, then we’re fucked.  But one of the big reasons they might go this way is because we fear they will.  So, we’re probably fucked whatever we do.

I’ll be okay just so long as I can still have a cup or two of coffee in the morning and an opportunity at some point during the day to ride my bike.  A dinner that includes carrots would be nice, too.

I just don’t have the energy to totally freak out and lose my shit over the prospect of all the terrible, awful things that are and/or could be happening in the world.  Maybe this marks me as an ostrich with my head in the sand.  Or perhaps I’m just a worm who lives underground all the time.

What I do know is that no matter what my reaction is to these turn of events, it won’t make any difference as to whether they happen or not.

So, what, me worry?  Not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment