It’s not my fault.
I hardly ever drive. I don’t eat meat. I’ve never owned a private jet or superyacht.
I’m not a member of an organized religion that believes its members are more favored by God or that they have a divine right to live in some specific Biblical homeland. I don’t hold a long-standing grudge against a certain race or ethnic group based on far-off historical event.
I haven’t any aspirations to build a giant casino or massive data center in a desert. You won’t find me harboring territorial ambitions regarding the places that other people live. I’m perfectly fine with leaving that forest or untapped wilderness alone.
I have no desire to kill anyone to take their stuff. I can’t see a need to travel to or colonize other planets. I don’t even fish.
I’m not into fast fashion. I don’t indulge in any of the drugs that devastate our cities and rural areas while making the cartels rich. I’m not a health insurance corporation CEO.
Nor am I a corrupt, self-serving politician.
I let my lawn go dormant in the summer. I take public transportation whenever possible. I pay my taxes.
I have flown half a dozen or so times in the past couple of years. But the planes were already going to those places, anyway, so don’t blame me. Much, anyway.
On the rare occasions I order take-out coffee, I almost always use my recyclable mug. It’s made of plastic, sure, but I’m keeping it out of the ocean.
I only have one child. I pick up my dog’s poop and dispose of it responsibly, according to the guidelines on our local waste management company’s website. I drop off spray cans and used batteries at the hazardous waste disposal site.
My 401k plan includes mutual funds with holdings from major multinational corporations; my home sits on the stolen lands of indigenous people; I’m an American.
Come to think of it, mea culpa.
No comments:
Post a Comment